Sunday, January 21, 2007

Spanish Emersion

So I've only been in Barcelona for 2 weeks, but I already love this city almost as much as KC. Europe is such an interesting place. The city layout and architecture here is far superior to that of America. The way the Spanish live is very different from how we live in America, but in a good way. People seem to be more social and less isolated than we are in America. People sit in plazas and at cafes for hours just chatting. In America, people all have on their ipod headphones on the streets or the subway, ignoring each other...Here, I have only seen about four people with ipods (and i have a suspicion that they were all American). Some things aren't better here. Food selection is smaller at grocery stores and restaurants all seem to cost an arm and a leg for measly portions. However, this could explain why there are almost no fat people here besides the tourists. Another thing that is a bit discouraging is the amount to graffiti on every door, window, and inch of stone inside of the old city. America went through this "graffiti fad" in the 80s and 90s, but it seems to be under control there days. However, a lot of things here seem to be about 20 years behind America (the proliferation of mullets is a good example.) Overall, BCN is an incredible place.

Everyday I try to take some time to explore the city. I've been to most of the citys neighborhoods already, finding a totally different feel and aesthetic in each. The old city is a maze of winding streets with something different on each corner. Every time I walk through this area I try to take a different route, but I know there is no way i've seen it all yet. Eixample is the 1890s expansion of the city that is filled with large boulevards and beautiful Art Nouveau apartments. This part of the city is what I imagine Paris looking like. This is the more upscale/trendy part of town. I've gotten to visit Gaudi's masterpiece Casa Batllo on Pasage de Gracia. Our Spanish class is out at the University which is located at the base of the mountains. This is a more modern area, but the natural beauty is incredible around there. The waterfront is another area of BCN that is totally different from any other part of BCN. I've visited the port, Barceloneta, and the Olympic Village. One last thing that BCN has to offer is a variety of interesting parks that are filled with beautiful art and architecture, not to mention tropical plants and animals. One of the best parks is one designed by Gaudi himself, located on the side of the mountains that watch over the city. Park Guell is hands down the best park i have ever been to...I wont even try to explain...just look at my pictures.

If I ever have enough money, I will definitely have a winter residence in Barcelona.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Buzz~
Thanks for the great description of the beautiful city. It sounds like you are having a balst! I knew you would, how could you not in Barcelona! The photos are amazing! You have done a really good job. I can't wait to hear more. I love you!
~Mollie