Monday, May 7, 2007

Back in America

Well, I'm back home now and it actually is good to be back. I had an amazing time in BCN, but ya know...you just can't live in paradise all the time. I will miss the days of exploring the old town where something is always to be discovered. I will miss strolling through exilampa, admiring the modernista apartment blocks and watching people at all the cafes. I will miss La Rambla where there is always something going on, no matter what time of day it is. I will miss looking down an avenue one way and seeing the mountains, then looking the other and seeing the sea. I will really miss skipping the bitter winters of DC and KC.

Europe has so much to offer: history, beauty, and skinny people!!! haha. But America is beautiful too. We have the desert, steep and rocky mountains, as well as softer mountains, plains, lakes and of course beaches. No country in Europe has such a diverse landscape or population. The entire idea of America is really beautiful too. A place where everyone can go to live and try to make a better life. A place where there is room to breath and if you want you can actually have your own house and yard. In Spain, that is really not much of an option. I love the way the Spanish live. Compact cities create a tighter community and a more lively street atmosphere. However, this is not for everyone. I know many people in Spain would kill for houses and yards like we have in America, especially in KC.

Mostly, Spain could never really feel like home. It felt that way for a while, but near the end I started to not feel like I belonged there. I am American, and well, that was not America. When I arrived in Chicago, I felt relieved to be back on American soil...as if I was afraid I would never make it back or something. I had an awesome, almost indescribable time in Spain, and I cannot wait to return!!!

No comments: