Friday, February 9, 2007

Seville - Kansas City "sister cities"

So I thought I would write a post that compares the architecture of Kansas City to Seville. I wrote a little about this in the Seville post (below), but Ill explain it again. In Kansas City there is a district of town called the "country club district." It was built in the 1920s as a suburban housing district. It's centerpiece was the "Plaza," one if the nations first suburban shopping districts. Today, the plaza is very urban (it's only 15 minutes away from downtown) and the country club district is considered an urban neighborhood (one of the classiest in the city). The houses of the district are all very well built and full of details. All kinds of different styles exist there, French, German, Spanish, English, and some American bungalow style houses too. The Plaza its self is modeled after Seville's old town. The plaza is a great example of how architecture can make a place successful. While the plaza started off a just another shopping district, it has become the most exclusive shopping district in the city, and one of the top in the nation. The way it was planned makes it an incredibly charming place to be...Ive been to almost every major city in the country and it's hard to think of a nicer shopping area. I think that a comparison of pictures from Seville and KC is the best way to show the similarities.

The Giralda tower in KC, then the one in Seville. I think it is kind of funny that in Spain this tower is part of a cathedral and in America it is attached to what is now the Cheesecake Factory.
Seville
The Light fixture in the plaza outside the cathedral has also been replicated in Kansas City. It is definantly a very cool design.

KCSeville The architecture of the Shops themselves aren't based on any particular buildings, just designed in the "Seville" style. Ill just show some pictures of the shops, then some pictures of buildings I saw that I suspect influenced their design.


KC

Seville
One thing that makes Kansas City's Plaza more unique than Seville is the way it is transformed at Christmas time. Every year the Plaza is lined with Christmas lights that accentuate every tower, window, and other architectural details. There is something like 80 miles of Christmas lights and they take literally months to install and remove.
So as it mentioned in the Seville post, at least Seville named a road after KC...even though its a pretty nasty road. One thing that Seville took from Kansas City was our statue, "the scout." This statue over looks our downtown from a huge park and pays homage to the Shawnee Indians that once occupied our city's area. Seville had a very scaled down version of the statue along the boulevard. It's so small in fact, that i almost missed it...but it caught my eye the second time I walked past it.The Scout, overlooking Downtown KCSeville's tiny version of the statue overlooking the ugly high rises of KC Ave.

3 comments:

Meg McGuire said...

Sean--this is an awesome post! I knew you had said they were sister cities--but I never knew how similar they really are! Cool!

Sandy Price said...

Sean, I am in Madrid visiting for the first time, and tomorrow I am off to Seville, specifically to find the pieces of Seville that are reproduced in KC. Thank you so much for this post. It makes my hunting so much easier!

El Cajón de los Misterios said...

Hi, Sean.
Although the post is old, I would like to congratulate you for it. I'm from Seville, Spain, and also a great lover of her history and customs. In fact, I write a blog in which, among other things, I like to tell stories unknown to most (http://elcajondelosmisterios.blogspot.com.es/). Since childhood, I knew about the brotherhood between our cities. I have also thought always that my city must have corresponded with something more valuable in response to the interest from Kansas City to Seville. The reality is that Seville in the sixties was a relatively backward city and in a sense poor, after 20 years of dictatorship. After all, the named “Kansas City Av.” was in the middle 60s one of the most modern ones in the city. I guess they did what they could.
By the way, I'm writing a post just on twinning between Kansas City and Sevilla and I am extracting data from the newspaper archives of Spain. However, when searching for information in libraries of Kansas City newspapers (eg, the Kansas City Star) I find that most of it is not fo free…Forgive the boldness, but could you tell me if there exists any free online resources of press you can check over Kansas City in the period 1960-1970 approximately?
Warm regards.
p.s. Please excuse my poor English, thanks!