Saturday, February 17, 2007

Street Art, Graffiti & Public Sculptures

As I've mentioned before, Barcelona is a town full of art. Public sculptures reside in parks, beautiful graffiti murals are commissioned for metal storefront guards, and unwanted graffiti is splashed on almost every door and facade of old town. Enjoy this 'art' or not, I think it undeniably makes the city more interesting and edgy. Even the unwanted graffiti is cool in some cases. Sometimes I get lost in the maze like old town, but then I recognize some graffiti I saw before and figure out where I am...It is a sort of way finding system. It would be nice to see old town cleaned up one day, made to look more like it used to. But, it's not and its awesome just the way it is. Here is a collection of the may taggings, murals, and public sculptures found around BCN.

Doorways and Storefronts

This first artist is all over the city...I think that his work is commissioned because his murals look very professional and time consuming.
One of my favoritesOther Artists

Otros Lugares (Other Places)Somewhere there is an elevator to the metro under all that crapSome art near studio...I like the frogs

Statues - Sculptures

This statue is a very traditional piece during the day, and becomes a more dynamic and modern piece at night Cool Pieces that towers over the port
Beachfront SculpturesThis piece, 'The Fish', is at the Olympic Village (1992)...I think it's a Frank Ghery workI guess this isn't a sculpture in the text book sense...however I love how the angled glass gives you a reflection of the beach and the sea when you get close to its base...you can't tell unless you get really close to it. Cool sculptures at a park along the shore...looks like ships had been buried in the ground, sunken...very cool
The sky is reflected beautifully off this (remarkably ugly) modern building at the ForumThese space age buildings are sculptures in themselvesThe Forum isn't the most successful urban space, but this area near the water is very artistic...I love how the sidewalk curves into a retaining wall (mimicking a wave) and all the lamp posts look like they have been blown over in a hurricane

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the paintings by the first artist- very cool! Of course I also love the one with the trees and the psychadelic colors. I would love a copy of that picture. I don;t remember lots of cool street are from when I was there. Maybe there was less of it, afterall, it has been quite a few years.