Monday, February 5, 2007

Toledo

Toledo was a very interesting little town. It was the only truely village-like city that we visited. It is just a short, 30 minute train ride from Madrid. Winding streets take you up the hill on which it is purched. It was very picturesque.

Although I was tired from partying all weekend in Madrid (a town notorious for its all night clubs), my hand got cut on some rogue exacto blades I had in my suitcase, and I was coming down with a cold...I still had a great time in Toledo.

The train station just opened this year after an extensive renovation.
The massive ¨gates¨ to the cityA view of the city below as we climbed to the top of the hill
This is the 1000 year old mosque that we visited for our second sketching assignment. It was amazing to visit even though it was under restoration. I think it's the oldest building I've ever been in.
The cathedral is on the left...and interesting skyway connects it to some admin. buildings.
The Islamic architectural influence starts to become apparent in this area of Spain, although its nothing compared to Andalusia.

No comments: